How to Submit a Vehicle Damage Claim
Accidents happen. Make sure you’re prepared to submit a vehicle damage claim to MetLife Auto & Home.
Before Submitting a Claim
It’s important to contact your auto insurance company as soon as possible after your vehicle is damaged, whether the damage is minor or major. Before contacting MetLife Auto & Home by calling 1-800-854-6011 or going to the website, make sure you have the following information:
- Your insurance policy number
- When and where the accident occurred
- The make, model and year of your vehicle
- Photos of the damage to your vehicle and other property, if it’s safe to take them
- Insurance information for other parties or property involved, if it’s possible to get
- Who was driving the vehicle when damaged
- Contact information and brief injury descriptions, if applicable, for all passengers in
- your vehicle at the time of the incident
- The current location of your vehicle, if it was towed
- A brief written description of the accident
You’ll also want to have a police officer write up a report of the accident (don’t forget to ask him or her for the report number and department). It’s also a good idea to get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses, so they can be contacted during the claims process, if necessary.
Thanks to modern technology, phoning your insurance company isn’t your only option to file a claim.
- Online: Most insurance companies allow you to submit claims online, and MetLife Auto & Home® policy holders can submit vehicle damage claims here.
- File a claim from your smartphone: The MetLife mobile app is available free for Android and iPhone.
If your vehicle damage is minor, you might be eligible for MetLife Auto & Home Choice Express℠. This app-based service allows policyholders to submit photos of the damage and receive an estimate and payment within a few hours. This eliminates needing to take your vehicle to a body shop or meet with an adjuster.
After Submitting a Claim
Once you’ve submitted your claim, typically the next step is talking with a claims professional to discuss what your policy covers. This person evaluates all available information, including accident and injury reports, vehicle damage information and more. During this process, should your vehicle be deemed unsafe to drive, based on your State’s Vehicle Safety Standards, MetLife Auto & Home can assist you in securing other forms of transportation. Through a partnership with ERAC & Hertz, MetLife offers its policyholders discounted rates on rental cars.