Long Live Your Laptop
Help extend the lifespan of your laptop computer with these maintenance tips.
A laptop can be a significant investment. And the portability of laptops makes them susceptible to wear that could cause early malfunction. Make sure you get the most out of your money and keep your computer in top shape.
Overheating often results from excessive use or leaving a computer plugged in too long. When your laptop overheats, it can begin to operate slowly and can shut down. To avoid this, ensure that your fan, usually located on the underside of your computer, gets airflow. Also consider investing in a cooling mat, which increases airflow around the computer while it’s in use.
Store it Wisely
Protect your computer when you’re on the go by purchasing a case or sleeve, as well as a bag to carry your laptop in. Also be careful about where you leave your laptop. Avoid perching it on a high ledge, near a glass of water or someplace where the temperature can get extremely hot or cold.
Preserve Battery Life
Thankfully, failed laptop batteries are replaceable. But they can be costly. Use these tips to help extend the life of your battery:
- Use the manufacturer’s recommended charger and follow charging instructions.
- Use power-saving and battery optimization modes.
- Lower the brightness of your screen.
- Avoid keeping the computer plugged in at all times. Instead let the battery drain before charging it fully.
Avoid Harmful Content
The content you view on your computer could damage it as well. Avoid clicking on suspicious links and be mindful about downloading content. You could easily contract malware while online. One of the best defenses is to purchase and install antivirus software.
Also be alert to phishing scams that use emails, instant messages and other tactics to trick you into sharing personal information. You can help prevent phishing scams by making sure your computer security software is up to date. And look for an email provider with antiphishing detection to keep phishing messages from being delivered to your inbox.
Clean It Regularly
Keeping your laptop clean can help it to last longer. Try these maintenance tips:
- Spray compressed air onto the keyboard and fan to remove debris and dust.
- Remove the battery and clean metal contacts with rubbing alcohol.
- Wipe down the screen, keys and exterior with electronic cleaning wipes.
- For LCD screens dampen a rag with equal parts white vinegar and distilled water, and softly wipe the screen.
Take Care of Your Smartphone or Tablet
Are you one of the 58 percent of American adults with a smartphone, or one of the 42 percent who owns a tablet? Take measures to protect these digital devices, too. Store the electronics in protective cases, and help safeguard touch screens by applying a protective screen cover.